Wednesday 25 June 2014

Matrix Jesus Bingo


My Year 12s are currently studying the A2 topic on Religion and Film, and we've just started looking at the theme of religious ideas in film, using the Wachowskis' The Matrix.

I've put together this little game to help my students spot some of the many Neo/Jesus parallels between The Matrix and the gospels.

Created at bingo.saksena.net/
Usual bingo rules apply: students tick off each parallel on their card when they spot it on screen. Instead of calling "house", the winner has to shout out "He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!"

Incidentally, I was surprised to find out that only one of my students has actually seen The Matrix before, and most of them seem to think that a film made in 1999 is  virtually prehistoric.

This makes me feel very old.

3 comments:

  1. Oh how I love this! We created a confirmation program (Confirm not Conform) that uses the "Red Pill Blue Pill" scene in our first session. And it disturbs me greatly that many of the youth now using the program were not alive when The Matrix came out. As we wrote in the revised edition, we used to be so cool and cutting edge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Personally, I'm not sure I was ever cool or cutting edge!

      You'll have to cull something from Hunger Games for your session - that should buy you a few more years!

      Delete
  2. Usual bingo rules apply: students tick off each parallel on their card when they spot it on screen. online bingo

    ReplyDelete